Fall 2020 After-School Program
Academia’s After-School program offers a comfortable environment and low student-to-staff ratio for homework time, optional after-school Spanish or Mandarin lessons 1-3 times a week, and cultural-themed arts and crafts. Our new additional space at 312 Madison St allows for gross motor activities, indoor games, and a separate quiet room for homework. In fair weather, the children spend plenty of time unwinding at Longfellow Park. Every Wednesday afternoon is pizza party day!
Academia offers a 15% sibling discount at registration for children enrolled in our full-week after-school options.
NEW! Beginning Fall 2020, Academia will offer home drop-off services with transport to Oak Park homes at the end of each day by either ten-seat bus or SUV. Enroll in our home drop off for $200/month per child or $180/month for siblings. Please see our FAQs below for more information.
Academia provides a fee reduction program for families with an annual income of $75,000 or less and/or experiencing financial hardship. A limited number of places are available. Please see our FAQs below for more information on how to register.
LANGUAGE CLASS OPTIONS
An optional 30-minute language class in either Spanish or Mandarin is provided on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays each week and is included in after-school program pricing.
There are two options depending upon your child’s previous exposure to Spanish:
Spanish for New Learners
A Spanish class for children with minimal exposure to Spanish, or who may be attending Spanish classes in school. The emphasis is on a fun, engaging class in a small group.
- Children must be picked up after 5:30p.m. to guarantee completion of their Spanish class each day.
- Academia presumes your child will attend this class, unless you wish to ‘opt out’ for your child for the year, or you select one of the other language class options. Please email email@example.com to let us know how many days a week you want your child to attend class and on which days of the week.
For heritage Spanish speakers, or appropriate for children who attended Spanish immersion programs in the recent past. The emphasis is on a fun, engaging class with a focus on maintaining and developing Spanish speaking skills.
- Children must be picked up after 5:30p.m. to guarantee completion of their Spanish class each day.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
after enrolling through this page to request a place in the after-school Heritage Spanish program.
There are two options depending upon your child’s previous exposure to Mandarin:
Mandarin for New Learners
A beginner’s Mandarin class for children with little or no background in Mandarin. The emphasis is on a fun, engaging class in a small group.
- Children must be picked up after 4:40p.m. to guarantee completion of their Mandarin class.
- A minimum of five enrollments must occur before June 30 for the Mandarin language option to commence. Parents will be notified as soon as this threshold has been met. If those numbers are not met, parents will be offered an alternative place, including daily Spanish, or they may request a full refund of all enrollment fees and any other payments made.
- Please email email@example.com
after enrolling through this page to request a place in the Beginners Mandarin program.
For heritage Mandarin speakers, or appropriate for children who attended Mandarin immersion programs in the recent past. The emphasis is on a fun, engaging class with a focus on maintaining and developing Mandarin speaking skills.
- Children must be picked up after 5.10p.m. to guarantee completion of their Mandarin class.
- A minimum of three enrollments must occur before June 30 for the Mandarin language option to commence. Parents will be notified as soon as this threshold has been met. If those numbers are not met, parents will be offered an alternative place, including daily Spanish, or they may request a full refund of all enrollment fees and any other payments made.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
after enrolling through this page to request a place in the after-school Mandarin program.
Parent's Night Out
One of the perks of joining the Academia community is a FREE monthly parents night out one Saturday a month during the school year from September through May.
Parents receive the Parent’s Night Out dates in our first newsletter of the school year in August. Each month Academia will send out an invitation with RSVP information. Parents with a child attending the After-School program at least three days a week may sign up their child. Siblings aged 4+ may also attend for free. Pizza, games, crafts, and a movie are provided.
Spots are limited and on a first-come first-served basis, so be sure to RSVP early.
Families enrolled in the After-School program from the start of the school year at least three days a week qualify for promotions and preferential pricing for 2021 summer camp.
Any parent enrolling a child for the After-School program five days a week receives a 10% discount when enrolling a sibling age 3-5 years in Spanish or Mandarin morning language classes.
Oak Park School District 97
Holmes, Mann, Hatch, Whittier, Beye, Irving, and Lincoln Elementary Schools in Oak Park:
Academia will pick up your child by bus or SUV at the end of each school day and drive them to the Academia After-School program. Parents and guardians may pick up their child anytime prior to 6:30p.m. In fair weather the children go straight to Longfellow Park after school to enjoy some time outside before they return to Academia a block away. Academia’s After-School program with transport is only available to children attending five days a week. Throughout the school year there may be openings for fewer days per week, but those cannot be reserved until after September 2020.
Holmes10 monthly payments
Hatch10 monthly payments
Whittier10 monthly payments
Mann10 monthly payments
Irving10 monthly payments
Lincoln10 monthly payments
Beye10 monthly payments
Longfellow Elementary School:
Children are picked up at Longfellow Elementary School and walked to Academia at the end of the school day, after spending time playing at Longfellow Park, if weather allows. Families may choose from 1 to 5 days per week attendance, either full or short day attendance, with optional pick up from Longfellow’s ALL activities at 4:00p.m.
Longfellow parents have two options for their child’s length of stay at Academia each day:
» Pick up your child before 6:30p.m: Kids enjoy after-school Spanish or Mandarin lessons 1-3 days per week, homework help, cultural-themed arts and crafts, as well as time in our new indoor game room! The full week monthly enrollment fee is $350/month over ten payments. 1-4 days enrollments are priced at $85/month per each weekday enrollment.
» Pick up your child before 4:15p.m: Our “short-day” option is back! Short-day attendance allows for park time, walking transfer, snack, and perhaps time to start homework, but no language classes or additional activities. The full week monthly enrollment fee is $200/month over ten payments. 1-4 days enrollments are priced at $50/month per each weekday enrollment.
For either of the above options, Academia can pick up your child at either normal dismissal time or at 4:00p.m. when Longfellow’s ALL enrichment programs complete. Just indicate Academia will be picking your child up on the ALL registration form and let us know at email@example.com after you enroll your child.
Parents can mix-and-match short- vs. full-days by selecting individual days 1-4 from the full-day and short-day sessions.
Don’t know which days to choose? Simply purchase the days you want now—you can always change your 1-4 day selection by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
Enrollment & Billing FAQs
Is there a registration fee?
Yes, there is a one-time registration fee of $35 for full week enrollments and $10 per weekday for 1-4 day enrollments. This registration fee is non-refundable, and discounts do not apply.
Do you have sibling discounts?
Yes, we do!
All siblings enrolled in our full-week after-school options receive a 15% discount off monthly payments.
The sibling discount does not apply to enrollments less than full week or the short day option for either full week or 1-4 days.
For example, for siblings enrolled in our pickup from Beye, the 15% sibing discount will apply to the $390 monthly payments, resulting in monthly payments of $331.50/month per each child enrolled.
The “additional details” section of the registration page has detailed information regarding billing and monthly payments for each enrollment selection.
Siblings also receive a discount on Academia’s new After-School home drop-off service. The first child enrolls at $225/month for ten months, and each additional child enrolls at $200/month for ten months.
Registration fees are exempt from discounts.
What are my monthly payments for After-school with bus transportation?
There are ten monthly payments separate from the registration fee. If the monthly payment is $390/month, the total program fee is $3,900.
Hold your spot with a registration fee of $35 for full week enrollment. The first monthly payment will occur on May 31, 2020, followed by monthly payments the first of the month from September 1, 2020 – May 1, 2021.
Registrations on and after June 1, 2020, will pay the registration fee and first month’s payment at enrollment with 9 subsequent payments the first of the month from September 1, 2020 – May 1, 2021.
If you are registering after the first day of school, the yearly tuition fee is prorated and monthly payment may vary.
New this year is a daily After-School home drop-off to Oak Park addresses for an additional fee of $225/month for ten months, siblings $200/month each for ten months.
What are my monthly payments for my child attending Longfellow elementary school?
Hold your spot with a registration fee of $35 for full week enrollments and $10 per weekday for 1-4 day enrollments.
Full Week Enrollments:
- Pickup at 6:30pm: There are ten monthly payments separate from the registration fee. If the monthly payment is $350/month, the total program fee is $3,500.
- Pickup at 4:15pm: There are ten monthly payments separate from the registration fee. If the monthly payment is $200/month, the total program fee is $2,000.
1-4 Day Enrollments:
- Pickup at 6:30pm: There are ten monthly payments of $85/month per each weekday enrollment.
- Pickup at 4:15pm: There are ten monthly payments of $50/month per each weekday enrollment.
Your total monthly payment is dependent on whether your child is enrolled for the full week or for 1-4 days, and whether you have selected the short-day (4:30p.m. pickup) vs. the regular day (6:30p.m. pickup).
The first monthly payment will occur on May 31, 2020, followed by monthly payments the first of the month from September 1, 2020 – May 1, 2021.
Registrations on and after June 1, 2020, will pay the registration fee and first month’s payment at enrollment with nine subsequent payments the first of the month from September 1, 2020 – May 1, 2021.
If you are registering after the first day of school, the yearly tuition fee is prorated and monthly payments may vary.
Can I switch weekdays?››
Longfellow Regular and Longfellow Short-Day
- If your child is enrolled in a regular day or a short-day from Longfellow Elementary, you may mix and match or switch days of the week.
- You may switch your days at no cost if space is available. To do so, email us at email@example.com to switch your days or inquire about space availability.
I enrolled for full-week but now need less days. What do I do?
If you switch from full-week to fewer days, all refund and cancellation policies still apply. Please see our refund and cancellation FAQ.
Should you enroll your child for our 1-4 days option, Academia cannot guarantee that you can change which days of the week your child attends, but if space is available you may switch at any time at no cost.
Can you transport my child home at the end of the day?
New for 2020! Parents may choose to have their child dropped at their home at the end of the day. This is available for any Oak Park home address where a parent or carer are available to meet their child.
This service is $200/month over ten monthly payments. Siblings enroll at $180/month each. Fees are in addition to after school program fees.
There will be two bus routes to serve households south and north of the freeway.
1. Transportation will leave from Academia at 5:10p.m. to drop off children who live south of I290. Drop off to homes will be between 5:20-5:35p.m.
2. Transportation will leave from Academia at 5:30p.m. for children being dropped off north I290. Drop off to homes will be between 5:45-6:15p.m.
If you are running late and unable to make it home in time for your child’s scheduled arrival, you may call Academia prior to 5:00p.m. to cancel drop-off service for that day and pick up your child anytime before 6:30p.m. at Academia.
A minimum of five children per bus route must enroll in Academia’s home drop-off service by July 1, 2020, in order for the program to run. If the minimum is not met, parents will be refunded all after school enrollment and first month fees at the parent’s request.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to add this option to your enrollment – enrollment is not available online.
What is the refund and cancellation policy?
2020 – 2021 Academia After-School
Refund and Cancellation Policy
- Registration fees are non-refundable, and no discounts will be applied.
- The first month’s payment is non-refundable and is used to reserve a spot in the After-School program for your child. Should the payment not be made according to the billing schedule, your reserved spot will be forfeited and the paid registration fees will not be refunded.
- If you pay the registration fee and decided you are no longer in need of the slot prior to the first monthly payment, you are not obligated to pay the first month’s or any future payment.
- Cancellations for bus transport, from school to Academia or from Academia to home, may occur with eight week’s notice. Registration fees and any monthly payments prior to last day of attendance are non-refundable.
- Cancellations for children enrolled in Academia’s walking transfer from Longfellow may occur with two week’s notice. Registration fees and any monthly payments prior to last day of attendance are non-refundable.
- Academia cannot guarantee that you can change which days of the week your child attends, but if space is available, you may switch at any time and at no cost.
- Refunds, credits, or prorations will not be issued for registrants who are absent or unable to attend for any reason, or who attend for a shorter day than purchased.
- All cancellation notices must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Are holidays, breaks, and institute days included?
Holidays, breaks, institute days, half-days, early dismissal days, and other non-attendance days are not included. These days are considered one-day camps or drop-in days for half-days.
Does Academia offer financial assistance?
Academia welcomes applications for the Fall 2020-2021 After-School financial aid program for households with an annual income of $75,000 or less, or those experiencing financial hardship.
A limited number of places in the after-school program are dedicated to applicants eligible for reduced fees and are only for students enrolling in the program for five days per week. Completion of the financial aid application form and meeting the requirements is not a guarantee that place will be available, as it is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
Families earning under 75k as a household can take another 10% off our standard pricing after we review their application.
Being awarded a reduced fee and placement for 2020-2021 does not guarantee that the same rate or place will be available the following year.
What time are children attending Oak Park schools picked up on Wednesdays?
What are the first and last days of pick-ups?
Oak Park School District 97*:
- First day of pick-up will be Monday August 24, 2020
- Last day of pick-up will be Wednesday, June 2, 2021
*Per the Oak Park School District website as of October 2019. Please note, the last day of school is subject to change and dependent on the School Board and any used Snow Days.
I want to register my child for Longfellow's ALL enrichment program.
Academia will be doing a secondary pickup at 4:00p.m. (3:3op.m. on Wednesdays) for all children enrolled in our After-School program plus Longfellow’s ALL enrichment program.
If your child is enrolled in Longfellow’s ALL enrichment program, please indicate so on the ALL registration form. Please also let our staff know what program your child has been registered for by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I prepare my child for attendance?
Academia sends out a newsletter the week prior to the first day of school with information regarding pertinent information for attendance.
In addition, Academia offers a weekly Open House. Please see our home page, www.chicagoacademia.com, for more information Open House dates and times. Feel free to attend with your child.
Academia also hosts an Open House in August for all children enrolling in the upcoming school year’s program. As August 2020 nears, we will send out more information about this Welcome Open House event.
Should my child pack a snack?
Yes. We ask that families pack enough snacks for your child’s time at Academia.
What if my child misses a day?
If your child is sick or otherwise unable to attend as scheduled, please inform us as soon as possible by emailing email@example.com. Same-day attendance changes must be called in or texted to 708-401-0853.
Refunds, credits, or proration will not be issued for registrants who are absent or unable to attend for any reason, or for a shorter day than scheduled.
My child has an allergy. How does Academia manage this?
Children with any food allergies cannot take part in Academia programs without providing an EpiPen, which should be provided by the parent to Academia staff upon arrival. We ask that parents of children with allergies help us in our process to protect children by reminding staff that their child has an allergy. We cannot be too careful!